To encourage Shawnee County residents of all interests and skill levels to use common spaces and outdoor resources for a more active, healthy lifestyle.
Areas of Focus
Education/OutreachWalking school bus pilot projectBike Friendly Business application packet development for local businesses
Recruiting/ Awareness of Outdoor OpportunitiesMobile and Email Blast system for local active messaging to the Shawnee County communities
- Funding, goals and achievements of the BLAST program, directly impacting and educating Topeka’s students on safe practical bicycle riding for transportation.
- Grant award announcement: http://cjonline.com/news-education-local/2015-12-14/usd-501-offer-bicycle-education-program-part-pe-classes-thanks
- Coverage of BLAST program: http://cjonline.com/news-local/2016-05-22/usd-501-students-learn-biking-rules-road-through-grant-funded-program
Goal of Built Environment Work Group (2014-2016)
To have policies in place to ensure that Shawnee County will have Complete Streets for future generations to utilize and enjoy.
Objectives of Built Environment Work Group:
- Complete Streets Policy and Design Standards at the City Level.
- Complete Streets Policy and Design Standards at the County Level.
Why “Complete Streets”:
- Complete Streets will improve safety, health, economic and environmental outcomes.
- Complete Streets emphasize the importance of safe, convenient, and comfortable transportation and access for users of all ages and abilities regardless of their mode of transportation.
- HHN is working to have healthy families in Shawnee County.
Learn more about Complete Streets activities:
Board of Health Groundswell Complete Streets View a PDF of the presentation on Complete Streets activities in our community.
- The Best Complete Streets Policies of 2013
- Oklahoma City is redesigning the city to make its streets walkable and keep its citizens healthy